Volume 624, April 2019
|Number of page(s)||16|
|Section||Galactic structure, stellar clusters and populations|
|Published online||02 April 2019|
Hubble Space Telescope photometry of multiple stellar populations in the inner parts of NGC 2419⋆
Department of Astrophysics/IMAPP, Radboud University, PO Box 9010, 6500 GL Nijmegen, The Netherlands
2 School of Mathematics and Physics, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
3 Astrophysics Research Institute, Liverpool John Moores University, 146 Brownlow Hill, Liverpool L3 5RF, UK
4 Space Telescope Science Institute, 3700 San Martin Drive, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
5 UCO/Lick Observatory, University of California, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, USA
Accepted: 29 January 2019
We present new deep imaging of the central regions of the remote globular cluster NGC 2419, obtained with the F343N and F336W filters of the Wide Field Camera 3 on board the Hubble Space Telescope. The new data are combined with archival imaging to constrain nitrogen and helium abundance variations within the cluster. We find a clearly bimodal distribution of the nitrogen-sensitive F336W–F343N colours of red giants, from which we estimate that about 55% of the giants belong to a population with about normal (field-like) nitrogen abundances (P1), while the remaining 45% belong to a nitrogen-rich population (P2). On average, the P2 stars are more He-rich than the P1 stars, with an estimated mean difference of ΔY ≃ 0.05, but the P2 stars exhibit a significant spread in He content and some may reach ΔY ≃ 0.13. A smaller He spread may also be present for the P1 stars. Additionally, stars with spectroscopically determined low Mg abundances ([Mg/Fe] < 0) are generally associated with P2. We find the P2 stars to be slightly more centrally concentrated in NGC 2419 with a projected half-number radius of about 10% less than for the P1 stars, but the difference is not highly significant (p ≃ 0.05). Using published radial velocities, we find evidence of rotation for the P1 stars, whereas the results are inconclusive for the P2 stars, which are consistent with no rotation as well as the same average rotation found for the P1 stars. Because of the long relaxation time scale of NGC 2419, the radial trends and kinematic properties of the populations are expected to be relatively unaffected by dynamical evolution. Hence, they provide constraints on formation scenarios for multiple populations, which must account not only for the presence of He spreads within sub-populations identified via CNO variations, but also for the relatively modest differences in the spatial distributions and kinematics of the populations.
Key words: globular clusters: individual: NGC 2419 / stars: abundances / Hertzsprung-Russell and C-M diagrams
Full Table A.1 is only available at the CDS via anonymous ftp to cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr (22.214.171.124) or via http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/qcat?J/A+A/624/A25
© ESO 2019
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.