Volume 614, June 2018
|Number of page(s)||8|
|Section||Planets and planetary systems|
|Published online||19 June 2018|
C/O vs. Mg/Si ratios in solar type stars: The HARPS sample★
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias,
La Laguna, Tenerife,
2 Departmento de Astrofísica, Universidad de La Laguna (ULL), 38206 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
3 Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes, Apartado de Correos 321, 38700 Santa Cruz de la Palma, Spain
4 Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço, Universidade do Porto, CAUP, Rua das Estrelas, 4150-762 Porto, Portugal
5 Departamento de Física e Astronomia, Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade do Porto, 4169-007 Porto, Portugal
Accepted: 14 January 2018
Context. Aims. We aim to present a detailed study of the magnesium-to-silicon and carbon-to-oxygen ratios (Mg/Si and C/O) and their importance in determining the mineralogy of planetary companions.
Methods. Using 499 solar-like stars from the HARPS sample, we determined C/O and Mg/Si elemental abundance ratios to study the nature of the possible planets formed. We separated the planetary population in low-mass planets (<30 M⊙) and high-mass planets (>30 M⊙) to test for a possible relation with the mass.
Results. We find a diversity of mineralogical ratios that reveal the different kinds of planetary systems that can be formed, most of them dissimilar to our solar system. The different values of the Mg/Si and C/O can determine different composition of planets formed. We found that 100% of our planetary sample present C/O < 0.8. 86% of stars with high-mass companions present 0.8 > C/O > 0.4, while 14% present C/O values lower than 0.4. Regarding Mg/Si, all stars with low-mass planetary companion showed values between one and two, while 85% of the high-mass companion sample does. The other 15% showed Mg/Si values below one. No stars with planets were found with Mg/Si > 2. Planet hosts with low-mass companions present C/O and Mg/Si similar to those found in the Sun, whereas stars with high-mass companions have lower C/O.
Key words: stars: abundances / stars: atmospheres / planetary systems
The full Table 1 is only available at the CDS via anonymous ftp to cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr (184.108.40.206) or via http://cdsarc.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/qcat?J/A+A/614/A84
© ESO 2018
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.