Volume 611, March 2018
|Number of page(s)||10|
|Published online||21 March 2018|
Embedded AGN and star formation in the central 80 pc of IC 3639★
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC), C/ Vía Láctea s/n,
38205 La Laguna,
e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
2 Universidad de La Laguna (ULL), Dpto. Astrofísica, Avd. Astrofísico Fco. Sánchez s/n, 38206 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
3 Max-Planck-Institut für Radioastronomie (MPIfR), Auf dem Hügel 69, 53121 Bonn, Germany
4 European Southern Observatory, Alonso de Córdova 3107, Vitacura, Santiago, Chile
5 School of Physics & Astronomy, University of Southampton, Southampton SO17 1BJ, UK
Accepted: 3 November 2017
Aims. Our goal is to probe the inner structure and the nature of the mid-IR emission in the active galaxy IC 3639, which hosts a Seyfert 2 nucleus and shows signatures of strong star-forming activity.
Methods. We used interferometric observations in the N-band with VLTI/MIDI to resolve the mid-IR emission of this nucleus. The origin of the nuclear infrared emission is determined from: (1) the comparison of the correlated fluxes from VLTI/MIDI with the fluxes measured at subarcsecond resolution (VLT/VISIR, VLT/ISAAC); (2) diagnostics based on IR fine-structure line ratios, the IR continuum emission, IR bands produced by polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) and silicates; and (3) the high-angular resolution spectral energy distribution.
Results. A large fraction of the total mid-IR emission of IC 3639 is produced in the innermost ≲80 pc with only ~1% of the total luminosity released in the UV/optical range. The unresolved flux of IC 3639 is 90 ± 20 mJy at 10.5 μm, measured with three different baselines in VLTI (UT1–UT2, UT3–UT4, and UT2–UT3; 46–58 m), making this the faintest measurement so far achieved with mid-IR interferometry. The correlated flux is a factor of 3–4 times fainter than the VLT/VISIR total flux measurement. The observations suggest that most of the mid-IR emission has its origin on spatial scales between 10 and 80 pc (40–340 mas). The emission confined within the inner 80 pc is either dominated by a starburst component or by the AGN core. The brightness distribution could be reproduced by a single component associated with the AGN, although this scenario would imply a very extended dust distribution when compared to other nearby Seyfert galaxies detected with MIDI. The extended component could also be associated with polar dust emission, that is, with a dusty wind blown by the AGN. However, a mixed contribution dominated by the star formation component over the AGN is favoured by the diagnostics based on ratios of IR fine-structure emission lines, the shape of the IR continuum, and the PAH and silicate bands.
Conclusions. A composite AGN-starburst scenario is able to explain both the mid-IR brightness distribution and the IR spectral properties observed in the nucleus of IC 3639. The nuclear starburst would dominate the mid-IR emission and the ionisation of low-excitation lines (e.g. [Ne II]12.8 μm) with a net contribution of ~70%. The AGN accounts for the remaining ~30% of the mid-IR flux, ascribed to the unresolved component in the MIDI observations, and the ionisation of high-excitation lines (e.g. [Ne V]14.3 μm and [O Iv]25.9 μm).
Key words: galaxies: Seyfert / galaxies: starburst / infrared: galaxies / techniques: interferometric
© ESO 2018
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.