Aims and scope
- Published on 27 March 2006
Astronomy & Astrophysics is a leading international Journal that publishes papers on all aspects of astronomy and astrophysics (theoretical, observational, and instrumental) independently of the techniques used to obtain the results.
The journal is published by EDP Sciences.
Institutions and private individuals can subscribe to A&A.
Access to the journal is defined by IP number. Access is free to subscribers of the journal. A username and password are not required.
An archive of the published articles is maintained by the Centre des Données Stellaires (CDS) in Strasbourg.
Astronomy & Astrophysics is a journal established through the amalgamation of various national journals. New Member-Countries can be admitted upon fulfilling certain criteria.
The journal is governed by the Board of Directors, whose members are designated by the Member Countries. The Board decides on the policies for A&A which include the general guidelines for publishing, the selection of the Editors, the various financial aspects, as well as the membership of countries.
Recent changes at A&A
The Board of Directors of A&A has over recent years decided to adjust some of the policies. The changes include:
- All A&A articles are in open access ONE year after their publication date (read more)
- The open access policy is updated (read more)
- The A&A authors have the possibility of being identified with non-Roman alphabets, such as Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic characters (read more)
- The most recent issue of A&A is available free of charge for users registering for the service. (read more)
- A&A offers free of charge an e-mail alert service for registered readers.
- Exceptionally interesting papers are brought to the attention of the general public by way of press releases on such papers.
- Submitted papers will, if the authors agree, obtain a DOI-number, which identifies the paper bibliographically in a unique way and which allows to associate early references to the paper with the final version.
- The lay-out of the pages has been adjusted to make better use of the available space.
- Language editing is provided for most papers; this service is much appreciated by the authors.