- Published on 25 March 2019
A&A is an academic journal, publishing high-quality research in all areas of astronomy and astrophysics in English. We are now recruiting for two related positions in our small Paris office, a Main Language Editor, and a Bilingual Assistant.
- The primary task for both positions is editing and proofreading scientific papers for correct, clear, and unambiguous English, and correcting to A&A house style. This is approx. 80% of the Main Language Editor’s work, and 50% of the Bilingual Assistant’s.
Other responsibilities: Main Language Editor
- Management of a small team of freelance language editors.
- Distribution of papers to freelance editors.
- Editing website content, press releases, and highlights.
- Organisation of occasional meetings and workshops for the freelance editors.
- Updating A&A’s language and style guide
- Overseeing homogenisation of Language Editing between freelancers
Other responsibilities: Bilingual Assistant
- Administrative support of the Managing Editor
- Administrative tasks pertaining to the Association (loi 1901) that manages the journal.
- Support in organising occasional meetings and workshops.
- Other regular and punctual admin. tasks in the editorial office to support the Editorial Assistants.
Applications from candidates with experience in the publishing industry are welcome.
- You are a native-level anglophone, bilingual or with a good working level of French.
- You are educated to at least university level and have previous experience of proofreading and editing, ideally of scientific literature.
- You are well-organised with exceptional attention to detail.
- You are self-motivated and can work efficiently without close supervision.
- You are used to working in an international environment, and can make good working relationships even when most interactions are remote (email, Skype).
- Previous experience of administrative work in France (Bilingual Assistant)
- Good computer skills
You may have English language teaching experience (Main Language Editor), or a scientific background. Experience leading a team may be useful (Main Language Editor), and experience using LaTeX is welcome.
These positions are both full time (35 hours per week), 80% FT possible for exceptional candidates. Salary dependent on experience, based on the CNRS pay scale. The A&A offices are at the Observatoire de Paris, Ave Denfert Rochereau. You would benefit from use of the subsidised on-site cantine, and have access to employee activities through the Observatoire.
Start date: April-June 2019