Aims and scope
Astronomy & Astrophysics is an international Journal that publishes papers on all aspects of astronomy and astrophysics (theoretical, observational, and instrumental) independently of the techniques used to obtain the results.
The journal is published by EDP Sciences. A paper edition is produced as well as a parallel electronic (on-line) edition.
Institutions and private individuals can subscribe to A&A.
Access to the on-line version of the journal is defined by IP number. Access is free to subscribers of the journal. A username and password are not required.
Part of the material accepted for publication will be published only in electronic form. This holds, in general, for larger appendices, large amounts of similar figures, large tables, and the like. That material is, however, an integral part of the on-line publication and is included in each electronic download.
An archive of the on-line edition and of the tabular material only published in electronic form is maintained by the Centre des Données Stellaires (CDS) in Strasbourg.
Astronomy & Astrophysics is a journal established through the amalgamation of various national journals. New Member-Countries can be admitted upon fulfilling certain criteria.
The journal is governed by the Board of Directors, whose members are designated by the Member Countries. The Board decides on the policies for A&A which include the general guidelines for publishing, the selection of the Editors, the various financial aspects, as well as the membership of countries.
Recent changes at A&A
The Board of Directors of A&A has over recent years decided to adjust some of the policies. The changes include:
- All A&A articles are in open access ONE year after their publication date (read more)
- The open access policy is updated (read more)
- The A&A authors have the possibility of being identified with non-Roman alphabets, such as Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic characters (read more)
- The most recent issue of A&A is available on-line free of charge for users registering for the service.
- A&A offers free of charge an e-mail alert service for registered readers.
- Exceptionally interesting papers are brought to the attention of the general public by way of press releases on such papers.
- Papers on new instruments and new methods of general astronomical interest will be published electronically (but with a one page abstract in print).
- Submitted papers will, if the authors agree, obtain a DOI-number, which identifies the paper bibliographically in a unique way and which allows to associate early references to the paper with the final printed version.
- The lay-out of the pages has been adjusted to make better use of the available space.
- Language editing is provided for most papers; this service is much appreciated by the authors.