A&A 382, 666-677 (2002)
Trajectories of microwave prominence eruptionsK. Hori and J. L. Culhane
Mullard Space Science Laboratory, University College London, Holmbury St. Mary, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6NT, UK
(Received 15 March 2001 / Accepted 21 November 2001 )
On the basis of 17 GHz microwave images from the Nobeyama Radioheliograph near solar maximum (1999-2000), we examined trajectories of 50 prominence eruptions in order to address how prominence motions affect or reflect the surrounding coronal structures. We marked the heliocentric latitude of the top of the moving prominences on the white-light synoptic maps, which were constructed at 2.5-4.5 solar radii from the LASCO C2 coronagraph on the SOHO spacecraft. We found that i) 92% of the prominence eruptions were associated with coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and that the remaining 8% show weak mass motions confined to nearby streamers, and ii) coronal mass motions involving prominence eruptions and CMEs are not random but are organized by bundles of streamers. Our findings support the idea of multiple plasma sheets emanating from active regions, arcades, trans-equatorial interconnecting loops, and polar crown filaments, through which coronal mass is transported toward interplanetary space. This study suggests that microwave observations can provide useful information on the activity at the base of such "coronal mass corridors".
Key words: Sun: prominences -- Sun: CME -- Sun: corona -- Sun: activity
Offprint request: K. Hori, Kuniko.Hori@msfc.nasa.gov
© ESO 2002